|Crescent History | Crescent Lawn History | Bath History | Literary Bath | Bath at War| What If?|
The History of
The Editors have made a selection from the City of Bath Mayoralty and Bath Past websites. See below for links. Read about the history of Bath through the ages by clicking on the bookmarks listed below or scrolling down the page:
was founded by Bladud, the eldest son of the
legendary King Lud.
Romans had a genius for appropriating local
deities and blending them with their own gods.
So, Sul became Sulis Minerva when they built
their temple where the druids grove had stood.
Sul, goddess of arcane prophecy, was tempered
with the cultured arts and science of Minerva.
Although still mostly buried under magnificent
Georgian streets, the Roman ruins in Bath
are unsurpassed in
Romans started building their great baths and
temple at the sacred spring soon after the
Conquest, in the middle of the 1st Century AD.
They named their city Aque Sulis and soon
transformed the Celtic druids grove into one
of the major therapeutic centres of the West.
The Romans revered the Spring just as the
Celts had done; by the 3rd century its
stunning temple and luxurious baths attracted
pilgrims from throughout the Roman world.
Nennius, a ninth-century historian, mentions a "Hot Lake" in the land of the Hwicce, which was along the Severn, and adds "It is surrounded by a wall, made of brick and stone, and men may go there to bathe at any time, and every man can have the kind of bath he likes. If he wants, it will be a cold bath; and if he wants a hot bath, it will be hot". Bede also describes hot baths in the geographical introduction to the Ecclesiastical History in terms very similar to those of Nennius. King Offa of Mercia gained control of this monastery in 781 and rebuilt the church, which was dedicated to St. Peter.
In the 9th century the old Roman street pattern had been lost and Bath had become a royal possession, with King Alfred laying out the town afresh, leaving its south-eastern quadrant as the abbey precinct. In the Burghal Hidage Bath is described as having walls of 1,375 yards (1,257 m) and was allocated 1000 men for defence. During the reign of Edward the Elder coins were minted in the town, based on a design from the Winchester mint but with 'BAD' on the obverse relating to the Anglo-Saxons name for the town Bağum, Bağan or Bağon, meaning "at the baths," and this was the source of the present name. Edgar of England was crowned king of England in Bath Abbey in 973.
the Norman Cathedral once looked.
the Norman Cathedral once looked.
The great 16th century traveller John Leland was inspired by Bath's Roman ruins but not at all impressed by the hot water which 'rikketh like a sething potte'.
City Plan of Bath 1692-4
By the 15th century, Bath's abbey church was badly dilapidated and in need of repairs. Oliver King, Bishop of Bath and Wells, decided in 1500 to rebuild it on a smaller scale. The new church was completed just a few years before Bath Priory was dissolved in 1539 by Henry VIII. The abbey church was allowed to become derelict before being restored as the city's parish church in the Elizabethan era, when the city experienced a revival as a spa. The baths were improved and the city began to attract the aristocracy. Bath was granted city status by Royal charter by Queen Elizabeth I in 1590.
During the English Civil War, the city was garrisoned for King Charles the 1st and seven thousand pounds spent on fortifications. However upon the appearance of parliamentary forces the gates were thrown open and the city surrendered, and it then become a significant post in Somerset for the New Model Army under William Waller. It was retaken by royalists following the Battle of Lansdowne which was fought on 5 July 1643 on the northern outskirts of the city.
Bath's population multiplied itself by well over
ten times during the course of the 18th
century. From a still small classic medieval
city of just 2000 people, with its market
place and many mangers and defensive walls, Bath
was transformed into a fashionable metropolis
of nearly 30,000 citizens in just 100 years.
Three visionary and talented men led this
Three visionary and talented men led this transformation.
Ralph Allen by William Hoare, Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
famous local figure is "The Man of Bath" - Ralph
Allen. His fortune and the new splendour of
Next and probably
Bath's most famous architect was John Wood who
died before his dream of creating a new
City plan of Bath 1735
City plan of Bath 1735
John Wood the Younger then designed the Royal Crescent "the summit of Palladian achievement in Bath". John Wood the Younger's Royal Crescent was the first use of the crescent shape in urban design in Europe and was much admired. Its deliberate intention was to unify a row of terrace houses with a palatial structure, (see the History of the Royal Crescent for more).
Nash by William Hoare (Bath Museums Service, Bath City Council)
third man of influence was the wigged adventurer and dandy Richard
'Beau' Nash, a drop-out from
City plan of Bath buildings 1700-1830
"The "Regency Period" is a term not usually confined to the Regency rule of Frederick, Prince of Wales (February 1811 to January 1820). Historians differ, but in terms of fashion, design, the habits of society, in other words what was "in", the very things which had made Bath famous and much visited, the period began in about 1800. Over the next several years, Bath was gradually eclipsed as the "in" resort by Brighton, favoured by "Prinny" as the Prince of Wales became known. As the poet William Cowper foresaw:
"....now alike, gay widow, virgin, wife,
Ingenious to diversify dull life,
In coaches, chaises, caravans and hoys,
Fly to the coast for daily, nightly joys.
And all, impatient of dry land, agree
With one consent to rush into the sea"
Bath's architects developed further grandiose schemes, but not all succeeded or were built; their adoption of the Greek Revival style did not resonate as easily with its former visitors either as the Palladian tradition had done so successfully in the 18th Century, or as did the new Regency Style - exemplified in Brighton's grand terraces near that city's own Royal Crescent on its sea-front. With the decline in the numbers of affluent and important visitors, Bath became a quieter city and its architectural glories were not fully valued and appreciated again for another 140 years. One legend of Bath's and the Royal Crescent's heyday is preserved in the annals of Bath Preservation Trust. The Trust's guide to its museum and headquarters at No.1 records that the Duke of York, 2nd son of George III, (not Prinny) "took the first house in Royal Crescent" in 1796, but soon moved to No.16; he is elsewhere recorded as paying the rates for No.15 in 1799. These two houses now form the Royal Crescent Hotel.
plan of Bath 1790
The population of the city had reached 40,020 by the time of the 1801 census, making it one of the largest cities in Britain. William Thomas Beckford bought a house in Lansdown Crescent in 1822, eventually buying a further two houses in the crescent to form his residence. Having acquired all the land between his home and the top of Lansdown Hill, he created a garden over half a mile in length and built Beckford's Tower at the top.
In 1830, Princess Victoria opened the Royal Victoria Park. It has 56 acres of parkland, contains trees and shrubs from around the world and was designed by the City architect, Edward Davis. Victoria did not return to Bath as Queen. During her visit, it is said that a resident of Bath commented on the thickness of her ankles. The observation was duly reported to the Princess, causing her to shun the City for the duration of her reign.
Prince Albert did visit and on his arrival was met by a group of city dignitaries, all of whom were formally attired in dark robes. As they looked so similar that he was unable to identify the Mayor. As a result of this, Queen Victoria decreed that Mayors should wear a robe and Chain of Office. These items were presented to the Mayor of Bath, Frederick Dowding, in 1850.
Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia spent the four years of his exile, from 1936 to 1940, at Fairfield House in Bath. During World War II, between the evening of 25 April and the early morning of 27 April 1942, Bath suffered three air raids in reprisal for RAF raids on the German cities of Lübeck and Rostock, part of the Luftwaffe campaign popularly known as the Baedeker Blitz. Over 400 people were killed, and more than 19,000 buildings were damaged or destroyed.
Houses in the Royal Crescent, Circus and Paragon were burnt out along with the Assembly Rooms, while part of the south side of Queen Square was destroyed.
A postwar review of inadequate housing led to the clearance and redevelopment of areas of the city in a post war style, often at variance with the local Georgian style. In the 1950s the nearby villages of Combe Down, Twerton and Weston were incorporated into Bath to enable the development of further housing, much of it council housing. In the 1960s and early 1970s some parts of Bath were unsympathetically redeveloped, resulting in the loss of some 18th- and 19th-century buildings. This process was largely halted by a popular campaign which drew strength from the publication of Adam Fergusson's The Sack of Bath. Controversy has revived periodically, most recently with the demolition of the 1930s Churchill House, a neo-Georgian municipal building originally housing the Electricity Board, to make way for a new bus station. This is part of the Southgate redevelopment in which an ill-favoured 1960s shopping precinct, bus station and multi-story car park were demolished and replaced by a new area of mock-Georgian shopping streets.
In the 1970s and 1980s it was recognised that conservation of historic buildings was inadequate, leading to more care and reuse of buildings and open spaces. In 1987 the city was selected by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, recognising its international cultural significance.
Click here to:
Copyright 2011 Opus 57 Ltd , All rights reserved
Website developed and managed by Opus 57 Ltd